Guest speaker Mr. Nicholas Brooke is the Chairman of Professional Property Services, a specialist real estate consultancy based in Hong Kong, providing advisory services across the AP Region including Mainland China.
About 30 members attended the Council's Annual General Meeting. Our Chairman, Mr. Bernard Chan, summarized the past activities of the Council and stressed that the mission in 2009 and beyond was again, to expand the number and range of activities.
Mr. Horst Geicke, Mr. Kenneth Gaw, Mr. Tom V. Chatjaval and Mr. William Chao were re-elected as Directors for the ensuing year. Simultaneously, Ernst & Young was re-appointed the Council's Honorary Auditors. The current Board of Directors consists of 10 directors:
1) The Hon Bernard Chan, President of Asia Financial Group
2) Mr. William Chao, Managing Director of Wing Wah Limited
3) Mr. Tom V. Chatjaval, Founder and Chairman & CEO of TVC Management Ltd
4) Mr. Kenneth Gaw, President & Managing Principal of Gaw Capital
5) Mr. Horst Geicke, Chairman and Co-Founder of Pacific Alliance Group, VinaCapital Group
6) M. Clayton Hebbard, Consultant of Grant Thornton
7) Dr. Harry Lee, Managing Director of TAL Apparel Limited
8) Mr. Willy Lin, Managing Director of Milo's Knitwear (International) Ltd
9) Mrs. Katherine Ngan, Executive Director of May Cheong Toy Products Fty Ltd
10) Mr. Raphael Tong, Managing Director of Shanghai Mister Softee Food Products Co Limited
We were honored to have a special guest joining us at the luncheon right after our AGM, Mr. Thanong Khanthong, Editor of The Nation, Bangkok - Thailand's leading English-language newspaper and one of the most respected newspapers in Asia. Mr. Khanthong was previously the paper's Managing Editor and Business Editor and is renowned for his incisive analysis into the Thai political and economic scene.
Guest speaker Dr. Han J Roth, Consul General of Switzerland in Hong Kong, has a long Chinese experience that he gathered over the past 30 years. He studied Mandarin and socialist economic theory in the late 70s right after the initial opening up of China. After entering into the Foreign Ministry, Dr. Roth's China experience was enriched with postings as Deputy Head of Mission at the Swiss Embassy in Beijing from 1990 to 1995 and as Consul General of Switzerland in Shanghai from 2001-2006. Dr. Roth concentrates essentially on intercultural questions in business and management and has just published two books, "Managing China" and "Leitfaden China".
Following the conclusion of the 10th National People's Congress & Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference held recently, the Honourable Jeffrey Lam, SBS, JP, Legislative Council Representative, Hong Kong General Chamber of Commerce Managing Director and Forward Winsome Industries Ltd, analyzed the recent Chinese initiatives on substantial economic development and, in the face of the sub-prime crisis in the US, how well China was able to withstand its impact and where China's economy was heading and by what means. Dr. Willy Lam, Adjunct Professor at the Chinese University of Hong Kong, the University of Hong Kong and Akita International University in Japan, assessed the prospects for economic and political reform, the political significance of the Olympics and the 30th anniversary of Deng Xiaoping's reform crusade.