Co-organized by the Irish, Italian and Norwegian Chamber of Commerce, the 48th InterCham YP Cocktail provided an excellent opportunity for all of us to meet and mingle with professionals from over 27 different international chambers and business organizations in Hong Kong.
About 25 members attended the Council's Annual General Meeting. The year 2010 was an eventful one for Thailand and indeed the world, and the Council played its part in keeping members informed about the changing political and economic situation in the Kingdom and the affects of global events on Hong Kong and the Mainland. The Council continued to develop ties with other organizations. Our Chairman, Mr. Bernard Chan, GBS, JP, summarized the past activities of the Council and stressed that the mission in 2012 and beyond was again, to expand the number and range of activities.
Mr. Tom V. Chatjaval, Mr. Kenneth Gaw, Mr. Horst Geicke, Mr. William Chao, Mr. Benjamin Lam and Mr. Benjamin Cha were re-elected as Directors for the ensuing year. Simultaneously, Ernst & Young was re-appointed the Council's Honorary Auditors. The current Board of Directors consists of 12 directors:
1) Mr. Bernard Chan, GBS, JP, President of Asia Financial Group
2) Mr. William Chao, Managing Director of Wing Wah Limited
3) Mr. Tom V. Chatjaval, Founder and Chairman & CEO of TVC Management Ltd
4) Mr. Kenneth Gaw, President & Managing Principal of Gaw Capital
5) Mr. Horst Geicke, Chairman and Co-Founder of Pacific Alliance Group, VinaCapital Group
6) M. Clayton T. Hebbard, Consultant of Grant Thornton
7) Dr. Harry Lee, SBS, JP, Managing Director of TAL Apparel Limited
8) Mr. Willy Lin, Managing Director of Milo's Knitwear (International) Ltd
9) Mrs. Katherine Ngan, JP, Executive Director of May Cheong Toy Products Fty Ltd
10) Mr. Raphael Tong, Managing Director of Shanghai Mister Softee Food Products Co Limited
11) Mr. Benjamin Lam, Executive Director & Deputy CEO of Pacific Century Premium Development Ltd
12) Mr. Benjamin Cha, Executive Director of HKR International Ltd
We were honored to have a special guest joining us at the luncheon right after our AGM, Mr. Pana Janviroj, President of The Nation, Thailand. He is also Executive Director of Asia News Network (ANN), an alliance of 21 leading newspapers from 18 Asian Countries (including China Daily). He was editor of The Nation from 1996-2005. His keynote speech at our luncheon was "Thailand's Latest Political and Economic Development".
Dr. Rita FAN, currently a Member of the Standing Committee of the Eleventh session of the NPC, was elected as a Hong Kong Deputy to both the Ninth and Tenth sessions of the National People's Congress ("NPC") between 1998 and 2007.
In Hong Kong, Dr. FAN has served as President of the legislature of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region ("HKSAR") for 11 years, and became President of the Provisional Legislative Council in 1997. Prior to that, Dr. FAN was appointed to the Legislative Council from 1983 to 1992 and was a Member of the Executive Council from 1989 to 1992.
Dr. FAN was awarded the Gold Bauhinia Star and the Grand Bauhinia Medal in 1998 and 2007 respectively by the Government of the HKSAR.
In a recent SCMP poll, Mrs. Rita Fan was the favourite candidate for the election of Hong Kong's next Chief Executive.
The Financial Secretary, the Honorable John Tsang delivered the 2011-2012 Budget Speech at the Legislative Council on Wednesday, 23 February 2011.
The Joint Business Community Luncheon was an excellent and timely opportunity to learn directly from Mr. Tsang his further elaboration on this year's budget and how he would lead us for dealing with the global financial crisis and sustaining the economic prosperity for future growth of Hong Kong.